Just the thought of traveling to an airport with a baby sounds like a horrific nightmare that will end with diaper explosions and chaos.
However my lady friends, I have mastered how you can survive traveling anywhere in the world with a baby EASY AND STRESS-FREE !
First and foremost ,
Let’s get down to basics.
1. ORGANIZATION : this is the most important thing you need to be when traveling with a baby, if your like me , MOM brain has sunken in and it’s like I forget everything nowadays, however when it comes to traveling all my baby’s items are in particular places at ALLL TIMES ! If your traveling on an airplane make sure to have all your bottles capped and filled with water. You won’t have to repurchase water for the bottles if you already have all your bottles ready, keep them in a bottle cooler bag. This will make it super easy in the line to take all your stuff out.
2. FORMULA ALREADY DISPENSED: measure out all the servings of formula you will need for the day of travel. This makes making a bottle so easy on the go! You can purchase dispensers at any local target , Walmart , or you can use snack size baggies (however the baggies are bit messier )
3. Hand sanitizer ! Heck pack 2 of those bad boys.
4. EXTRA FITS: you can never carry to many outfits ever. You never know when that explosion will pop up at a mom ! Always carry sleeper clothes as well. OUTFIT BAGGIES, prepare 3 different back up out fits in ziplock baggies of a onesie, pants , socks and a bib , you will thank yourself later !
5. COVER BAGS FOR YOUR CARSEAT AND STROLLER. Oh em gee Becky I’m not even kidding you when I say you need this, when I first began traveling I didn’t realize how important this is until I hopped off that airplane and my babies car seat was soaked in rain and the visor was broken. You can purchase travel cover bags on amazon and at target, SOME airlines will provide a clear baggies however it’s very rare! This is so important.
6. Minimal, you can always buy more baby food and more diapers. Get enough to make it through the days of travel then repurchase. This has made it easy for me because I can estimate how much my baby will need and how much I can buy at the local market.
7. Thermometer & Tylenol. At all times.
8. Always keep a spare pacifier in your bag. Always.
9. BABY CARRIER – okay when you are traveling alone this is YOUR BFF when it comes to breaking down your stroller when you hit TSA and when you board flight, I can’t even tell you how many times people will just watch you struggle with a baby then to naturally help if they see you struggling with a stroller.
10. BE SMART. As soon as you get to the airport , take your baby out of your car seat and place in your baby carrier , place the car seat from your car in the cover bag and on the stroller to make moving easier. Yes I carried my baby pushed a stroller and pulled a luggage & carried a backpack, YOU GOT THIS MAMAS
11. CORRECT PAPERS – you are going to need your babies birth certificate to prove babies age, as soon as you get your bags checked (car seat & stroller do not count as bags FYI ) you will make sure to get your i.d. Ready for checking , you don’t want to be trying to look for this last minute. You will now be pushing stroller and carrying baby in the baby carrier.
12. TSA LIKE A BOSS #HAIRFLIP – now my friends. Keep your baby in the baby carrier , place your diaper bag into the stroller , PREPARE . I repeat , PREPARE to take ALL bottles with water ( you can take bottles filled with water ) , formula, any medicine (Tylenol) , baby food, pouches , wipes , & any ointment creams in a SEPARATE TSA bin. Security will pull this bin for additional testing. Every time so just be prepared to take everything out. Do not forget bottle lids , cause those flappy machines are nooo bueno. #germs
13. Lift one shoe up towards you , take off put in bin as well as others. Break down your stroller and proceed to the entrance to retrieve your items. AS SOON as you get cleared from tsa and you place everything back into your baby bag , THIS IS NOW the time (from experience ) that your baby will want to be in your stroller. By now my baby is like “get me out of this thing” so I always place her in the stroller after the tsa checkpoint. We head to elevator to proceed to our gate !
14. ONCE YOU ARRIVE AT GATE. I always find the nearest family restroom , I change her chonies , I get to go , then it’s feeding time. If you’re breastfeeding there are many airports that provide nursing rooms but I say nurse where ever you please mamas. However I will feed my little one. Now as time goes on about 15 min before flight is about to board I take my baby back into restroom to change her one more time.TRY to keep your baby as occupied as possible before entering plane so that they will get sleep on the flight. This really helps because as they age it’s so much harder to keep them entertained on a flight by yourself. My daughter wanted to be the free little social butterfly she is and it can get exhausting !
15. MAKE SURE TO GET A STROLLER GATE TAG. The flight attendant that calls the boarding will give your stroller a tag when you check it at gate. ( it goes under plane when you board )
16. PREP – make sure to put your baby back into that carrier before entering the plane, because when you begin to walk on the plane you will then again have to break down your stroller and holding a baby and doing this at the same time is sooo poopy UNLESS they are in carrier. Let’s be real this helps for the small amount of time needed. Don’t forget any bags on bottom of stroller. From experience , you do not want to forget this…
17. When your on the airplane have a bottle already ready, have your babies favorite book ready and their blanket , also a clipped chupie always helps. I always put my diaper bag under neath the seat in front of me for quick hands reach. Keep a small container of your babies favorite snacks as well. As the plane takes off it helps with their little ears to either feed them a bottle / boobie/ or chupie to help the ear popping.
Please always remember , you’re human, you’re baby is just a baby, and you both are doing the best you can! There will be times that will be rocky , not every flight is easy but I promise these simple tips will help make it a bit less stressful when you are alone traveling with your baby. I know I can’t be the only one that has jello arms from rocking my baby for 2.5 hours straight for her to fall asleep as we’re descending haha
I hope these tips help you !
Thank you for reading !