Let’s be real , Having a colic baby is hard and you feel helpless. When you’re pregnant you imagine everything to be perfect when you bundle of joy arrives. It never crossed my mind that my baby would have a colic period.
Postpartum was hard , I wasn’t producing the milk I needed for my baby , I had mastitis for a month due to one clogged duct that grew to a 9cm abscess behind my breast implant. I was so sick for a month while patiently waiting to heal from my 2nd degree tear , perineal , and cervix tear.
But that wasn’t that hardest part , around this time my baby began to have crying spells. I did everything I knew to do, Feed , burp, change diaper anything that could be bothering her I tried to solve. She was just not having it. It hurt me to see how she would cry as if she was in pain! Oh it was awful. However with trial and error I found what helped SOOTHE my baby when she wasn’t able to soothe due to colic and gas problems.
1. First things first , gripe water. It’s an all natural product that can be found at any local store ( Walmart , Target , cvs etc) the one I used for her is called Mommy’s Bliss Night Time , From “A safe and effective herbal remedy to ease baby’s tummy troubles and fussiness and help them get some sleep”
THIS IS A MUST HAVE. trust and believe within 30 minutes of giving my little one her first serving I could already see the dramatic improvement in her mood. She was comforted and starting to relax.
2. SOUNDS. Okay this may sound crazy and I never heard of this before however my daughters Nina had witnessed my little ones colic while visiting on a family trip( she is super experienced and has two dear daughters herself ) she swaddled my little artsie and turned on a ocean noise but not just any ocean noise , it’s called the PINK NOISE ! This noise soothes infants and babies into a nice deep sleep, that also eliminated noise around them. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I seen how soothed my daughter became when this noise came on. It felt like a weight rose from my shoulders as I seen the comfort come over her. At one years old she still naps and sleeps to this noise. There is also a free app available so you can play this anywhere, I have yet to purchase a sound machine but the one on my phone and iPads work perfect for her.
- “Adjustable night light, sound machine and time-to-rise indicator all in one hub
- Control and program settings through your smartphone or tablet running on iOS (9 or higher) or Android (Lollipop or higher)
- Select from preset light and sound themes or create our own“
3. Swaddling : this is truly an amazing thing for your baby, it helps them feel secure and a remembrance if being in your tummy. The Aden and Anais swaddles are amazing due to their large size! As your baby grows you will need those bigger sizes! They also make swaddle sacks for babies as well! This really helped my baby because it kept her warm through the night as well as feeling secure and burritoed !
4. Singing : I sing a gentle song to my baby as I’m soothing her. I only sing it once but I know it relaxes her. I sang her this when she was in the womb and I know she remembers the song by her sleepiness that follows after Lol
5. Baby Massages: I had heard about baby massaging for gas and I stumbled upon this article : https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/infant-massage/art-20047151 it was so helpful in learning about baby massaging to reduce gas and crying. You can use oil but I use the Aveeno Baby Lotion :
6. FORMULA. If you are breastfeeding please disregard this. My daughter was unable to tolerate certain formula brands. I tried everything from cheap , super expensive organic , to feeling LOST with no results. When changing formula it’s recommended to wait a week to see any results. After numerous research and attempts , The formula that ended up helping my daughter with gas pains , constipation was recommended :
This formula has been a dream come true in helping my daughters constipation , gas and fussiness. What I love most about this company is they send you coupon checks in the mail that you can use at any local store. The more you use the coupons the bigger amount off they give you. They first sent $5.00 off , and now I recently got $15.00 off !! That’s outstanding! I’ve also calculated that Target sells the biggest oz with the cheapest amount of this formula you can purchase ! Yes even over Costco.
ESSENTIAL OILS :
Gentle Baby™ essential oil blend is formulated with Coriander, Geranium, Palmarosa, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, and other sweet-smelling essential oils. Gentle Baby’s soothing blend of pure essential oils has an aroma that invites a sense of calming for parents and children. The uses for Gentle Baby are countless, but its soft fragrance is perfect for diffusing in your home or child’s bedroom in the evening or for applying topically to your face to help keep the appearance of a healthy complexion and enhance a youthful appearance. The scent of Gentle Baby evokes tranquil, nurtured feelings that can be a wonderful companion for times of inner reflection.
From the young living description ^
I love diffusing this oil with lavender , it really calms and soothes by baby. To Begin please click the link below and enroll for the purest oils out there!
Being a mom is hard at times , even harder when you are trying your best to help your loved one. Always remember you are the Perfect Mommy your baby could ever have and you are doing the best you can! I truly hope these products and tips help you because they really helped me during the rough time of colic!
Please leave a comment below I would appreciate your feedback!
Thank you for reading, as always